This is the simplest recipe ever. It can be made on the stove or in the Instant Pot. I double this recipe, and we enjoy it weekly during the fall and winter!
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup (dairy-free, gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free, nut-free, peanut-free)
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2-5 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped into 1″ cubes
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped into 1″ cubes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Optional holiday spices: 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 32-64 oz of boxed broth (if you get a smaller squash, you’ll need less liquid; if a larger squash, more liquid)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk – the thick, creamy top only (not the watery base)
- Heat a large pot over medium-high (Instapot: Press Cancel, then Sauté. Wait until the display reads HOT.)
- Add coconut oil to the hot pot/Instant Pot, and swirl until it coats the bottom.
- Sauté the onion until translucent, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, stir until fragrant, 20-30 seconds.
- Add butternut squash and apple, and stir until incorporated with onion/garlic mixture.
- Add cinnamon and optional holiday spices, if you are using them.
- Cover the mixture with broth. IMPORTANT! Only use enough liquid to completely submerge the mixture. If you barely have enough broth, add water until completely covered.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and stir occasionally for 30 minutes or until the squash is tender. (Instant Pot: Place the lid on, secure it in place, close the venting knob, press Cancel, then Soup, and use the +/- arrows until the display reads 30.)
- Remove from heat/unplug Instant Pot, and purée the mixture with either an immersion blender or stand blender until smooth.
- Scoop out the fatty cream from the top half of the canned coconut milk and add to the blended soup. IMPORTANT: Avoid the watery base in the bottom half of the can. If it makes its way in, no big deal, it just won’t be as creamy.
- Mix and serve!