My favorite, favorite go-to smoothie is a chai-flavored one that I found in a recipe book a couple of years ago that tastes so much like my drink of choice from Starbucks, a grande soy chai latte, but without the $5 price tag and all that extra sugar. The gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and vegan recipe below is the smoothie I drink right after my morning workout. I prefer to make a large batch of the spices and store it in an air-tight container, so I can quickly measure 1 tsp of the entire spice blend without measuring out five separate spice jars.
- 1 cup plain non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 banana
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp ground gloves
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 T raw local honey or 1/8 tsp stevia (but be sure to read this article to learn how to buy the most natural brands, or see the image below to learn how to make your own stevia extract)
- 6 ice cubes (or 6 frozen chai tea cubes for the caffeine kick)
Pour the milk into a blender and add the banana, spices, sweetener, and ice. (As an option, you can pour steeped chai tea into an ice cube tray and add frozen tea cubes to your smoothie.) Blend on high speed until smooth. Serve immediately.
For extra protein:
- Add 1 scoop of protein powder with all the other ingredients (Preferred Brand: SunWarrior Raw Vegan Classic Protein Powder – Vanilla)
For extra calcium:
- Add a handful of fresh spinach leaves with all the other ingredients
For extra electrolytes:
- Add 1 T chia seeds to your already blended smoothie (pictured above)
To make a large batch of the chai spice blend:
- Add 4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp ground cardamom, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp ground cloves, 1 tsp ground black pepper – Combine in a small container, and use 1 tsp for each smoothie serving!