We are looking forward to an exciting new cooking program beginning in fall 2014 in my son’s combination 2nd/3rd grade class! The subjects we’ll be covering in our Year 1 cooking curriculum include: Long Ago & Local History; Economics; Balance, Force, Motion & Simple Machines; Famous People Around the World; Sounds, Lights & Magnets; and Life Cycles.
Here are the recipes we used for the first year curriculum track and the associated topic from the school year 2014-15.
LONG AGO & LOCAL HISTORY
- Apple Chips Two Ways: Crispy or Soft
- Lemonade using a hand juicer
- Halloween: Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Thanksgiving: Pumpkin Bread Muffins
- Christmas: Vegetable & Graham Cracker “Gingerbread Houses” glued together with cream cheese, vegan cream cheese, or honey
- Lunar (Chinese & Vietnamese) New Year: Steamed Vegetable Potstickers
- Mardi Gras: Oven Baked “Fried” Pickles
- Mother’s Day Gift: Homemade Lip Balm
- Garden: Raw Taco Salad
- Scented Playdough that was packaged and sold at our classroom Market Day
- Fresh Juicing – Teaching the combination of sweet and tart fruits and veggies using apples & carrots (sweet) combined with celery, broccolini, and kale (tart)
- Homemade Pizza Dough – watching the yeast/dough rise
- Kombucha or Water Kefir – fermented foods